Doob LaVey

A clever combination referencing three of my favorite things: Marijuana, The Church of Satan, and the french alphabet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Long story, but briefly: I once saved a town from Dractyl, the vampiric pterodactyl.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

A Jamie By Any Other Name

When I was a kid, I had one of those keychains that has your name on it, but not because I might lose it and wanted the finder to know who to return it to. It was one of those novelty keychains that tells you, or any literate person, what your name means. Mine said:

"Jamie - (Hebrew)The Preferred One"

(This once prompted some kid to ask me "Are you Hebrew?", whatever that means). Naturally, sceptics will be sceptics, and automatically respond "Preferred by whom?"

The answer, of course, is "By everyone (except, apparently, sceptics)". Here's some things I've gathered from personal experience to illustrate.

Have you ever been in a line up at the grocery store or the bank or a fast food restaurant, and it just takes forever and ever? Not me. That's because I can usually find some way to let the cashier or whatever know that I am "Jamie" and they will automatically call me to the front of the line because they don't want me to wait. Pretending to cough into your hand, but really be saying "I'm Jamie" or "Jamie here" usually works, although some people in the line may come to resent this, especially if you've been in line ups together before. A better way is to wear a name tag which you "forgot" to take off after work earlier. This way, everyone knows you are "Jamie" and they want to let you go ahead of them. You don't even have to say anything, but a little nod or approval in their direction will give them quite the story to tell around the dinner table tonight.

But when two "Jamie"s appear in the same line up though, watch out! They may be trading "No, I insist, after you!" for hours! Eventually the situation resolves itself (usually a flip of the coin), and good-natured laughter is had by "Jamie"s and by-standers alike. These incidents are often reported in the local paper.

I have more, but I'll save them for later. I just thought it might be a good idea to get this information out there, in case anyone was thinking about changing their name or naming a baby.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Felix (Latin) - skeptic

I used to let Jamies in line in front of me until my 15th birthday. I finally found a novelty licence plate with my name and meaning on it. After that day no Jamies ever cut ahead of me in line. A few Bennys did though.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I won't discuss my given names in an area so unsecure, my nickname (see above), bestowed upon me automatically by my career path, vexes me. I find it implies a personality trait that I simply don't have.

On a different topic, I got dejavu from this post. Weird...

5:23 AM  
Blogger Limited Ed. said...

My Hebrew name, "Abraham", means, "Father of many," but I haven't had a single child and I am nearly 32 years-old. I don't know what this has to do with standing in line, maybe I have let too many "Jamie's" go ahead of me, but I'm ready to start pounding out the progeny. Anyone out there willing to gestate my offspring?

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Limited ed, gestation is beyond my means, but I would love to receive the pounding! Call me!

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck this rehashed shit! How about some new material for a change!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

my ex-boyfriend's name was jamie and he used to let people butt in front of us in movie lines.

alana means "fair, bright, and beautiful", which I think we can all agree describes me so well, it's spooky.

modesty was never a component.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sealclubber steve means that I club seals, and my name is steve...can't make it much clearer than that.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Cal Samson said...

my name is meaningless...

my life must be meaningless. Hey, look, a near-empty box with a dollar in it!

Deep... all names should mean more than one thing. Pidgeonholing people like that must be one of Satan's slow-revenge plans. Or just parents who wanna fuck their kids up.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The name you carry can mean very significant things. It can weigh upon you until, eventually, you succumb to the very definition of the name - even if you are not aware of that definition. If you were named "Clarabelle" or "Helga" then you are probably fat. If you were named "Jay-Z" the you're probably a no-talent asshole. If your name is "Howard" then you probably look exactly like every other "Howard" out there. (Clones!!)

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home