Doob LaVey

A clever combination referencing three of my favorite things: Marijuana, The Church of Satan, and the french alphabet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Long story, but briefly: I once saved a town from Dractyl, the vampiric pterodactyl.

Monday, November 28, 2005

A Chance Encounter

The weather is getting colder, the days are getting shorter, fall is almost over. All things that I take to mean that winter is on it's way.
It was under such cold weather conditions that I found myself walking home one night, and much desiring the refuge of a place to warm up for a spell.
Unfortunately, there was naught but a Shell station nearby. For those of you not in the know, Shell is one of those big, money grubbing oil companies that were recently called before a congression hearing and generally represent the worst that humanity has to offer.
However, with my core temperature dropping, for better or for worse, I felt I had no choice but to stop in that abhorent place, at least long enough to fix myself a hot beverage. It is my usual custom to ignore people around me in such circumstances and just go about my business. On this particular occasion, though, I was given no such opportunity.
Ordinarily, the fellow making his own coffee next to me would not have been the least bit noteworthy. Somewhat disheveled, rapidly aproaching 50, such sights are in no way unsual in downtown Kelowna. But when his Rodney Dangerfield-esque voice rang out in my direction, I was forced to concede he could no longer be ignored.
"Guess what, kids. It's cold out."
I merely nodded in agreement. This, actually, sort of illustrates the reason I have such a disdain for small talk. Of course itwas cold out, no fool could dispute this fact. So why would anyone make such a banal statement, forthe purposes ofhearing a response, when they know what the response will be: when they know full well there is only one possible response? But, I digress. Besides, as I was soon to discover, logic was not always the governing force over the course of conversations. Keep in mind, as you read, these are all the words spoken to me, I'm not leaving out anything he said to me, nor changing the order they were spoken in.
"Speak of the Bible, eh?"
See what I mean? I wasn't sure that we actually had spoken on that subject, so I omly made a noncommittal noise like "mmm."
"The natives are on the prowl tonight. The toughest guy in Alberta got his head kicked in."
I inferred that the natives must have been the ones to perpetrate this violence. I guesthat'll teach the toughest guy in Alberta for coming to BC, though.
"You learn your lesson from the cold weather, right?"
In light all the supporting evidence, it was hard to disagree.
"I go by my prayers. I don't work; I'm business like."
The way he made these statements, in rapid succession, leadme to believe they we're all connected somehow. I failed to see how. So I said nothing.
"Which is the best magazine for underwear, eh? I guess they'reall pretty good."
What?
"The Playboys are getting me crazy."
In most unconfortable situations, an intuitive understanding will kick in sooner or later to let you know when it is time to escape. In that moment, I was having that understanding. Bidding the man a good night, I prepared to depart.
"Good to see you, eh?"
Considering my boyish good looks, this was the first thing he said that made sense. But it was too little, too late. The thing with guys like this is that you always run into them again, sooner rather than later. But forewarned is forearmed, and I hope to be better prepared next time.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the fuck? It's all crowded together? It's like trying to read a clump of cream of wheat!

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Jamie, I'd be careful about describing yourself as having "boyish good looks" since you'll probably get the cherryville grapefruit all excited in ways that you really don't want him to be.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta get me one of them new cucumbers. The moon seems smaller than it used ta when I was a young'un. I once found a slug in my Taco Bell. Damn you have a fine ass. All in good time, compadre.

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thar be kherium in them hills! I knows it!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hammerhead. i said nothing to you. leave me be. i do business. that is all you need to know. how in the world did you ever find a place in this world?

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

easy tiger, just funnin.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Dear Doob, that was excellent and I wait breathlessly for more, but I still don't know what a nerf herder is, and it's dang near killing me! Please end this sweet torture!

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Those babbling people are the exact type of reference I needed for my old book, "Silence is Golden/Incoherent Ramblings are Bronze." My publisher told me it was unprintable as is, so you need to introduce me to this guy. Sometimes there's a rainbow just around the corner! Although, sometimes there's just a crazy leprechaun shouting obsenities.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Please, it's killling me. Nerf herder! I have to know, I beg you!

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

watch "empire strikes back". nerf herder is from that.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The time is soon here folks.

http://www.medgadget.com/archives/2005/11/the_cyberhand_1.html

Now if only I had 6 million dollars.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops... that didn't work... disregard the last post and check this out:
Hand Job

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Doob, what ever happened to that guy that fell (or was pushed) out that window?

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie, where have you gone? Are you back on the street, fucking a bottle?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Jamie S. Luxton III said...

Virgil, nothing happened. None of it happened at all. I was just funnin'.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home