Doob LaVey

A clever combination referencing three of my favorite things: Marijuana, The Church of Satan, and the french alphabet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Long story, but briefly: I once saved a town from Dractyl, the vampiric pterodactyl.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Nihilism Usurps My Purpose

Well, it's early Moday morning, and I've just finished a hearty breakfast of raisin bran crunch, toast, orange juice, and coffee. I'm going to need my energy today, since I've got to go out and find out if I get to keep my job or not. I only wish I'd gotten a good night's rest. But the fact is that such a thing was made impossible, thanks to a chance encounter in the darkened hours.

Late last night, I was frequenting my favorite local coffee shop, minding my own business. Actually, I was hard at work on the crossword puzzle in the newspaper, which an earlier, inconsiderate patron had already filled in in ink. Even though I had immediately scribbled out all the answers, the puzzle was still not half the challenge I'd hoped it to be.

Frustrated, I gazed about the coffee shop, discreetly observing the few other customers. All the stereotypes were present of course: The old hobo, the college boy, the beatnik, the gossiping housewives, the unattended infant. As I glanced from face to face, each one failed to notice me, especially the unattended infant. Which is just as well, since babies make me uncomfortable anyway. I mean, they look like people (sort of), and behave like animals. That's creepy!

As my head turned towards it's leftmost limit, my eyes were suprised to discover that one patron had heretofore escaped my notice. Therewas something vaguely sinister about the man. Perhaps it was his red skin and devil horns.LOL! just kidding. He was dressed in all black, and somewhat disconcertingly, he was wearing a beret. Even more disconcerting, as I looked apon him, he was staring right back at me.

A sudden crash signalled the event of a ceramic coffe cup being introduced to the linoleum floor... the hard way. A sudden wail went up from the infant, a primordial "waaahhh" that said to all in earshot "The experiences of that coffee cup, all the lips it's touched, all the coffee it's tasted, all the conversations it's heard, all the faces it's seen, all that means nothing now!" It was a wail that spoke to the truth of the human condition.

I was momentarily stunned by this oddly pessimistic thought. This didn't jive with my normally upbeat attitude. And yet, it was suddenly clear that a fundamental truth had been revealed to me. I saw now that when we die, all our accomplishments, so cherished in life, are equivalent to nothing in the face of death. And if it is true that accomplishment is the measure of a life's worth, and accomplishment is valueless, then life itself must also be similarly meaningless. Silently, I both praised and cursed the infant for the gift of this insight. Maybe now you see why I don't like them.

All this occured in a fraction of a second, and I was roused from my idle reverie by the hurried form of an employee, anxious to erase the evidence of the cup's demise with her dustpan and mop. As my neck returned to it's neutral position, Iwas startled yet again to find the vaguely sinister man standing silently over me. Somehow he had made his way from his table to mine without sound and in an impossibly small amount of time. He stared down at me with that same expressionless gaze as before. His skin was grey and his eyes were dull, like he was dead inside. But then I quickly thought, Aren't we all? The corner of his mouth twitched upwards into a configuration indicating the vaguest of bemusements.

"Are you done with that?" He said in a silly voice, air whistling through the gap in his teeth. I looked where his outstretched index finger was pointing, and realized he was indicating the crossword puzzle.

I looked back up into his eyes with an expression of expressionless that I hoped would rival his own. In an unhurried fashion, I stood from my seat and put on my coat. I made as if to silently brush past him, but at the last moment stopped short and glared into his eyes once more. I thought I detected something in his gaze that hadn't been there before. A meager trace of emotion, perhaps? I smelled blood and went in for the kill.

"What difference does it make?" I cooly said.

I walked out without looking back.

Reading this now as I write, I realise how needlessly I've been worrying about my continued employment. Fortunately, now, I also realise "What difference does it make?"

I think I'll go back to bed. See ya.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a need for speed. Don't try to take that away from me.

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I had was a pen.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I feel that babies are such phonies. Everything gets catered to them, and the infants know exactly what's going on. Most people forget this time of their lives, but I remember.

Kids are sneaky... don't trust them.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lazy man's guide to fitness
Did you know that it only takes 7 seconds to stimulate muscle growth?

7 seconds - that's it!

Want to go now and look?
www.finkbizz.com/muscles2gain

If you've trained conventionally you already know the mystical importance of those last two intense reps. Do those last two reps and you stimulate muscle growth. Don't do them and you might as well not workout at all.

7 seconds, that's about how long those reps take.

What if a new system went straight to those same seven seconds of stimulation, without the long set(s), without the sweat, without the soreness that comes from the lactic acid buildup, and without the uncertainty that you picked the right weight/set/rep combination?.

What if this new system improved on the 2 reps by stimulating a whole week, and more of muscle growth?

What if you could freely prove it to yourself with just 63 total seconds of working out?

63 seconds and you're on the way to the most reliable, least bothersome method of becoming fit ever devised.

GO CHECK IT OUT!!!

www.finkbizz.com/muscles2gain

2:02 AM  
Blogger millorac said...

Definately enjoy reading your cynical view here though don't be unduly bias with the baby. You were there once before, remember?

10:17 PM  
Blogger iz said...

hey!!!!! kids r cool!! dont u remeger being a kid?? huh huh??? cus its way cool!!
*sigh* why must all grown ups mock kids???
r u all jealous or something???

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home